Sunday, December 6, 2009

Did you know?

Only 3 more weeks until the big experiment begins and I'm getting pretty excited! My husband is grumbling less about it which is nice and I have found a lot of recipes, and a couple of cookbooks that are going to be very helpful. They are called "Cookin' With Home Storage" and "Country Beans" Both of them have lots of recipes that contain only food storage items, and lots of other helpful info. Like, did you know that you can mix some bean flour in with your regular wheat flour when making bread and it makes a complete protein? I've also run some pinto beans through my wheat grinder to make bean flour and made YUMMY refried beans with it, plus you can use bean flour to thicken sauces, and as a soup base. In fact I'm using bean flour tonight to make gravy for my pot roast. Very cool.

I also found an older Make a Mix book that is going to help solve one of my biggest obstacles to living off food storage - the time factor. I just don't have all day to be cooking meals. However, I have found TONS of recipes that you just make the dry mix ahead of time and then you can use the mix to throw dinner together at the last minute. Think soup mixes, bread mixes, and even seasoning mixes like taco seasoning, soup seasoning etc. Oh, and get THIS - did you know you can make almost everything from scratch? I have recipes for yeast, mayonnaise, cream of anything soup, dried onion soup mix.... Seriously. EVERYTHING. And (here's the best part) they require only the ingredients I have in my food storage! I know that you are all dying to know more. I will post recipes and stuff of these items as I use them. And of course, I'll let you know how they taste! OK, have to get going as I have maxed out my available allotment of exclamation points for one post.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there. I just found your blog and am excitedly reading all of it. I have all three of the books you've mentioned here, although I haven't tried a lot of recipes from them yet. Do you have "Mix-a-Meal"? It's another good one. It has a recipe for a biscuit mix that tastes just like Bisquick. Well, it does if you use only white flour. I add whole wheat and white bean flours to it, and it still makes awesome biscuits--quick and easy. Also, it's recipe for onion soup mix is really good. I use it for making chip dip, home-made Shake-and-Bake, and onion/garlic mashed potatoes.

    Anyway, just wanted to tell you how much I'm enjoying your blog. You're passing along a lot of good information. Thanks for your hard work.

    Bonnie
    http://foodstorageinvernonia.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog and though I'm late to the party will be interested in reading back through your experiences with this. My father in law was a great one with stockpiling, but not so much with rotating and after his death my mother in law ended up discovering various foods that had gone bad. We haven't got a stockpile, but want one...and definitely want to keep it rotated!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I've got a copy of an older edition of Make-A-Mix (circa late 70's), as well as a new edition from a few years back. Interesting to see the differences between them.

    ReplyDelete